Sunday, September 27, 2009

Paul Harvey's Baptism

Since the church service I had today was about baptism and I just blogged to you below about examples God uses in the Bible about baptism, I thought I would share a real life story that touched me. Years ago Guidepost Magazine printed an article titled"My Quiet Heart." It was about the famous radio legend Paul Harvey whom described his baptism. I loved it and every single word that he spoke. I hope you do too.

Paul Harvey writes..“Seemingly, I had everything for which a man could ask. Everything, that is, except a quiet heart. Something was missing. This emptiness was still within. March of last year Angel and I were vacationing in Arizona, and one Sunday morning decided to attend services in a small church on a hilltop. Inside were a dozen or so worshipers on wooden, folding chairs, a scene reminiscent of ones I had seen many times as a youth. ... The minister preached about baptism, and my attention began to focus on the simple eloquence of this country preacher. I twisted in my chair. "Submission to God" the minister said. He asked those who wanted to be baptized to join him. I found myself by his side. The preacher said there was nothing magical about the water. Yet as I descended into its depths and rose again, I knew something life-changing had happened. A cleansing inside and out. No longer were there two Paul Harveys – just one happy one. I felt the fulfilling surge of the Holy Spirit. Afterward I cried like a baby. I looked at Angel and her eyes were shining. The change in my life since this simple act has been indescribable.”

No comments:

Post a Comment